Friday, March 21, 2014

Blog Post #8 Finding 21st Century Learning and Communicating Tools

After giving this assignment some thought I decided to Google "online learning tools for elementary students" and to my surprise several websites popped up. The one that caught my attention was 101 Websites That Every Elementary Teacher Should Know About. I already had some websites in mind that I heard about but did not get a chance to explore them yet, so this assignment allowed me to do so. Because I am a mother of a two year old son, I was already in the mindset to explore some learning tools for me to use with him. Within the 101 websites that was listed I found some that I liked more than others, so here are a few I think will be a great use in and out the classrooms.

1. Pinterest

Pinterest
I heard Pinterest to be a good site to use to get different ideas to use in the class room. You simply go to there site, sign in and from there you can type anything that interest you (elementary art projects, science ideas, or elementary math), the ideas are limitless. Once you have typed what you want to search, several pictures pop up with ideas from several websites, you can then pin the ideas you like to use and go to that website to get the full page of instructions. You can also pin ideas for a later use if need be.

2. Fuel the Brain

fuel the brain
I found Fuel the Brain to be useful because it allow students(1-12 grade) to play learning games and provide learning resources. I think students will enjoy the feature of creating their own worksheets and personal mini books. Sometimes students get tired of same old way of learning and this site has some new ideas.



3. Starfall

Starfall is a really great website to use for early elementary students (PreK-2 grade)at home and or in the classroom. I heard of many teachers using this in their classrooms as one of their play stations. This site also have activities that align with Common Core Standards. The Starfall store allow you to purchase things like books, posters to hang in the classroom, puzzles, sing-a-long cds, and games.

Starfall website

1 comment:

  1. Pearl, I did the exact same thing. I used an online search engine and found many different online tools. I think that the ones that you have chosen are really interesting and have a lot of potential. You did a great job of selecting three different tools.

    ReplyDelete